Wednesday, December 11, 2013

WWRW: I Have TWO Book Reviews This Week!

I know.... I'm probably going to burn myself out at this rate.


Linking up with Jessica for the second week in a row for What We're Reading Wednesday!

So, Faith's 4th Birthday was the day after Thanksgiving this year and her godmother, Aunt St. Liz (Faith canonized her), gave her a bunch of goodies. In those goodies were two books which have become fast favorites in this house already. They are both authored by Charlotte Zolotow, but have different illustrators. 

Our "flava flave!" book is "Over and Over", and it's illustrated by Garth Williams (of Little House fame!). Aunt St. Liz told Faith that the little girl reminds her of Faith in many ways. For anyone who spends a great deal of time around little ones, the storyline of a little girl who keeps asking "What comes next?" after every holiday and season will ring very true. The simplicity of the wording is good for reading it to small children, but it also is an honest rendering of true childhood from the child's point of view.
Another thing that really struck me is how very few recently-penned children's books have truly beautiful illustrations. (Begin sarcasm font) You are free to correct me, but I was a child raised on the likes of Tasha Tudor books, so my standards are fairly high. 
"Over and Over" is one of those books that will stand the test of time and I'm so glad Aunt St. Liz chose it for Faith!


Her second equally- awesome choice was "I Like to Be Little". Again, Zolotow has an uncanny ability to grasp the very essence of what it is to be a small child, while still tugging at the heart strings of the parental reader. This book follows another little girl (totally different illustrations by Erik Blegvad) who explains to her mother why being little is preferable to being big. It's just as sweet and simple as "Over and Over", but with a slightly more mature view (as in 4-6 year olds!). 

If you're looking for some very wholesome and enjoyable books for the under-7 crowd, I highly recommend both of Zolotow's books. (Probably, I should add them into the link-up...).

6 comments:

  1. Charlotte Zolotow has been a favorite around here and I have to read "I Live to Be Little" occasionally to remind myself a few things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that true? It's so so good for a parent to read her!

      Delete
  2. I have Never heard of this Charlotte Zotolow. Heading over to the library website now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Garth Williams illustrations. Can't wait to see if my library has these, as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just so true-to-life and....gentle....aren't they?

      Delete