Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My son, the Tyrannosaurus Rex!

If you have ever seen the movie "Jurassic Park" (or read the book that it was based on), then you will surely remember the T-Rex. The animal was described as not-too-bright, extremely aggressive, very fast, and could only see what moved. So, if a character stood perfectly still right in front of the dinosaur, he stood a better chance of surviving than if he ran away, screaming.

My almost-21-month-old son is very similar to that dino. While he differs in some ways (extremely intelligent and very cuddly!), he is lightening-fast and does not seem to notice my existence if I hide myself in a small corner. If I move, even to stretch my cramped legs, it's as if alarms and flares go off and he is on me like a fly on honey. Also, he won't let go.... at all.

Just like his dinosaur counterpart, he will eagerly follow me into the bathroom; although, the comparison stops at the part where the dino eats his prey.

I have spent many a road trip turned sideways in the front passenger seat, pressed tightly against the door, in an effort to make my toddler forget my existence. I can't tell you the relief my back and neck feel when he finally falls asleep in his car-seat!

"Prey"....hmmmmm.... That is a very appropriate word to describe how I feel on some days. I am being hunted by small, sticky, loud, demanding "hunters". If I can quietly sneak off to another room (the laundry room or the bathroom in the basement are 2 prime choices), without my hunters detecting me, I am safe for 5 to 10 minutes. Once they root me out with their stellar tracking abilities, the hunt is on! I have only recently decided that this game must be fun for them. Otherwise, why would they have honed their abilities so sharply?

And, I decided even more recently, that "the hunt" can be fun for me, too! I like trying to outwit my hunters. And, the "punishment" for being rooted out is a really big smile and a loud "Mommy!", followed by a huge hug. And, really, all I need is a couple of 10-minute breaks every day; I'm not looking to escape any of my kids forever.

So, the next time you want to watch a good documentary on a-day-in-the-life-of-a-toddler, try watching "Jurassic Park". Keep a notebook handy so you can jot down any comparisons between your child and the dinosaurs in the movie --- and, so you can take a few notes on how to expertly evade these darling predators.

No comments:

Post a Comment