1) Are you a frizzy-headed mess like me? Does your hair waver between "kinda, sorta curly" and "a lil bit straight"? On the same day? At the same time? Is your hair crunchy? YES?!? Well, meet your new BFF:
Suave's Moroccan Styling Oil was sent to me as a free sample with some shoes I bought for my sons (I have no idea what this company was thinking), along with a $1 coupon. I had nothing to lose, so I tried it. Very, very skeptically. Let me preface this by saying that the previous day, I had washed my hair and let it air-dry curly-ish. Then, I slept on it (you curlyheads will know what this does). Consequently, it was a crunchy, frizzy, sloppy mess. No, brushing doesn't make it better -- if you don't believe me, just ask CarrotTop. So, I dampened my hair, applied the oil, and dried it straight with the blow dryer. Normally, this will produce a bushy mane what needs tamin' with my trusty flat-iron. But, not this time! We're talking smooth, shiny, STRAIGHT tresses that smell sexxxy. (Those triple Xs are as close as this Catholic girl gets to porn). I earn nothing from telling you this, other than the satisfaction of knowing. WARNING: If you have thin, fine, straight hair this could be the wrong product for you, but I am not blessed that way so I can't say for certain.
2) 7-Keto DHEA. While I'm still reserving judgement on this supplement, I will say that in the 36 hours I have been taking it, my energy levels have skyrocketed. I was hoping that it would speed up my old metabolism, as some studies have suggested that it's use by elderly wheelchair-bound nursing home residents had it reducing their body fat by 6% without ever changing diet or increasing exercise. That benefit remains to be seen (I'll let you know in a week or 2), but this tired mama appreciates the bump in energy.
3) Holla if you want a dolla! The Dollar Shave Club! Major kudos to Jessica for highlighting this one! Since marrying me, Kyle has grown accustomed to the finer things in life -- razors included. But, I spend mucho dinero on his replacement cartridges, and when the budget gets tight, he has to make-do with his old, dull cartridges. Not no more! We chose the mid-range $6/month plan which ships (for free!) him a handle and 4 very nice cartridges every month. We haven't actually gotten the first shipment yet, but already I like that I'm saving time and money on this one! Also, PLEASE watch their video; you will die of the hilarity.
4) My Great Aunt Mary's Strawberry Angel Food Cake recipe! This one is perfect for hot summer days when you want a baked, light dessert but don't want to turn on the oven. Here's whatcha do:
-Go buy yerself one of them angel
food cakes that your grocery store
bakes for you and sells it in a plastic
-Make space in your shopping cart
for 1 large box of strawberry jello
and 1 container of frozen, sliced
strawberries in sugar.
-When you get home, boil 2 cups
of water, and while that's heating
up, take the cake out of the plastic
pan and poke a bunch of holes in
-Mix gelatin into boiling water until
dissolved, then add in defrosted
-You saved and washed out that
plastic pan, right? Good. Pour
jello mix into pan and then gently
sink cake back into pan. (It's OK
if it sits higher than it did previously)
-Place the whole shebang in the
fridge for 4-6 hours.
-when it's set, soak bottom of pan in
hot water for 30 seconds and
invert over a plate.
-Slice and eat!
5) Awesome friends (Dwija, Cari, Jessica) who inspire me to be a better mom, wife, and Catholic! The Great Midwest Catholic Women's Blogger Convention happened last week at House Unseen and I really don't have the right words to convey how much laughter and joy was (barely) contained under that roof.
Thank you, my sweet friends for loving me despite my imperfections and encouraging me to recognize and honor the gifts God gave to me! Y'all are a very special bunch of Chiquitas Bonitas!