Friday, February 8, 2013

You Might Need A Social Media Break If...


  1. "Idiots" tweet/update stupid things and you feel an overwhelming urge to choke your smartphone.
  2. Their "idiot friends" comment/reply on/to these updates and you experience extreme eye-rolling to the extent that it brings on a migraine.
  3. Every blog post is either "rife with sniveling snark" OR the "most profound thing you've ever read!" -- there is no in-between.
  4. Not only do you ignore/postpone interactions with your kids, but you feel anger towards them when they interrupt a genius comment you are typing out re: nurturing motherhood.
  5. Husband? What husband?
  6. You get excited for bathroom trips because it means you can have uninterrupted time with the iPad.
  7. Ditto for nursing the baby.
  8. You can load the dishwasher AND play on Facebook at the same time.
  9. You realize you are justifying your time online with phrases that sound a lot like an alcoholic justifying her trips to the bar.
  10. People online have taken A LOT of precedence over your family and friends -- and, on most days, it seems like a relief.
If this sounds a lot like you, please consider joining me in giving up Facebook and Twitter for Lent.
Truthfully, I can't wait to see the way my life improves!


16 comments:

  1. Praying this one over MK! Thanks for the invite. I think I will say yes...but will miss the intelligent (I.e. not a two year old replying "no" to. everything. everything.) conversations and prayer support!
    Your little guy is the CUTEST baldy baby ever!!!! He! So precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Suzette! You should know all about cute babies! ;)
      Definitely pray about it first; what's good for one person, may not be exactly right for another. And, you have the prayer support no matter what!

      Delete
    2. Oh but you have more than tripled cute baby-ness over me! But mine are pretty dang adorable, thanks!!!!
      Looking forward to this Lent. Thanks for raising the bar. And for the prayers!!!!!

      Delete
  2. That's just mean, to post a cute picture of Will right after asking me to fast from the internets for Lent.
    Meeeeeeaaaaan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does this mean you're not signed up for the Will Picture Of The Day emails????

      Delete
  3. I'll be joining you! Even the Husband is on board with this one, we are both giving up all recreational internet use and TV for lent. Email doesn't count though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bow to both of you! I'm only making FB and the Twitter go away. Since I never get into combox debates, I'm hoping reading blog posts will not suck as much time away. And, I'm hoping to post more frequently on my blog, as it has been a helpful tool to me in the past.
      And, I agree, email doesn't count. Or, texting! ;)

      Delete
  4. I will trade you my social media for that adorable baby. Otherwise, no dice. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm actually deactivating my FB. All other non-email time will be limited to only when the kids are sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that, Bonnie! Good for you! It feels very liberating, doesn't it?

      Delete
  6. I took FB off my phone and Twitter. Year 3 of doing this and am usually a little "shaky/lost/pathetic" the first day, but the last 2 years have shown me great fruit and I usually contemplate doing it permanently once Easter comes....looking forward to Adoration today!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I've been giving up FB since 2009 and the first week is the hardest. After that, I always wonder why I go crawling back after Easter. Maybe I won't go back this year.... ;)

      Delete
  7. Since I'm not on FB or Twitter (see, I started this whole thing before you made it cool) perhaps I can just do my blogging at times when my kids do not need me (read: asleep).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colleen is cooler than cool: she's ice cold! :) I'm seriously jealous that you never caved to the pressure. I used to use the excuse of having to keep an eye on my teens, but, apparently once Mom starts using these things they become less cool and teens stop using them! Now, I'm relegated to reading their text messages very night. I'm kidding. Maybe.

    I'm hoping to blog at least once a week during Lent, but discovering that I have nothing to say. Any suggestions????

    ReplyDelete