So, my first 3 QTs will address some reasons why I love being Catholic:
1) TRUTH! I love Truth. I love getting down to the bottom of everything. I love getting my "why's" answered, and answered correctly. Guess what?
2) Tradition! I love any and all tradition. I especially love tradition that is rooted in deep meaning. I love the rhythm of tradition. I love it's steadfastness. I love the feeling that interconnectedness and family traditions create. I love knowing that while I'm receiving absolution in the sacrament of Confession, so is some other mom sitting in a confessional somewhere in Kenya. And, 200 years ago, my great-great grandma in Ireland was also doing the same thing! The Catholic Church is really and truly steeped in rich traditions. As in, 2000 years worth of traditions!
3) Parties! We Catholics know how to kick it and we have the reception of the sacraments to give us more reason to do so! Your baby's getting baptized? Great! What time is brunch? I'll bring the ham. My child is receiving his First Holy Communion, so come on over for some beer and Italian Beef sandwiches after Mass! Getting married? Ginormous celebration! Receiving Holy Orders? We are not just going to commemorate that with a handshake and a cuppa java; you get a reception! I believe it was Simcha Fisher who said (paraphrasing, here!), "If it's Christian, it's true. If it's Catholic, it's FUN!".
OK, that was fun! Now, onto my remaining 4 QTs....
4) Let's talk Easter candy. More specifically, let's talk about how to get it out of my house so I stop eating it. Leave your address in the combox, and I'll send you a tasty care package. No, really.
5) Choosing colleges is, um, not fun. The reality of loans and expenses and fiscal responsibility is hitting Killian (and his parents) pretty hard. Laying it all out on paper makes it more clear, but the clarity is not what he wanted. The disappointment of not getting to do what he wanted to do is very bitter. But, as we've pointed out to him, he still is going to college and receiving an awesome education! Just not living there next year and not the college he wanted to attend. Money, or the lack-thereof, sucks.
6) Spring? What the funk?! Where ARE you?!? When Kyle and I retire (ha!), we are totally going to be snowbirds. We'll keep the lake house for summers and spend the rest of the year at a condo in Orlando. If I still have this blog at that point, prepare yourselves for a lot of pictures of an old lady posing with Mickey Mouse.
7) I did the 40 Bags in 40 Days purge during Lent. I threw out/gave away way more than 40 bags. Apparently, that was not enough. To top it off, the damn Easter Bunny decided to bestow gifts on my kids through other relatives, besides Kyle and I, so now we have more stuff to "organize". People's generosity is overwhelming. Really overwhelming.
Have a Happy Meat Friday and a sunny weekend!