1) We arrived home Sunday from our one-week family vacation at the lake. The 4th of July on the lake is where it's AT, my peeps! Pretty much everyone tries to out-do everyone else with the fireworks and The Dempsey Family is no exception. This year's pyrotechnics were pretty impressive, but not as good as the year my dad came up for the 4th and spent all day wiring different fireworks while I created a specially timed CD of patriotic music. That year, we stole the show: massive amounts of impressive fireworks timed to explode in sync with songs by Neil Diamond and John Phillips Souza! BAM!
2) Tuesday was my 40th (that CAN'T be right!) birthday and we had really nice day. We opened gifts before Kyle left for work and the kids gave me a set of car-washing equipment along with 6 (bar-coded!) coupons for a Dempsey Kids' car wash, a gift certificate for a pedicure, a gorgeous watercolor of my fave flowers (Lily of the Valley) painted by Maeve, and a pretty necklace. Then, Kyle took my breath away by giving me a gorgeous ruby and diamond ring. It doesn't fit. I have huge fingers. My fingers are so big, that the ring can't even be sized up that big. So, we will be returning it and getting another ring. Probably from the Men's section.
3) Which brings me to ANOTHER awesome thing the very best husband in the world is doing for me this weekend: THROWING ME A 40th BIRTHDAY PUB CRAWL!! I'm beyond excited! I've talked about having one for my 40th for 3 years now, and Kyle really came through! 4 hours of pub crawling, followed by a catered party at the fifth bar! And....NO KIDS!! I love my kids. I spend all my days with them. They are great kids. But, they demand attention. A few hours of partying like it's 1994 (the year before I had any kids) will be a nice break from the last 18 years. (OK, fine. Will is probably going to have to nurse during some portion of the time away, so he'll make a BRIEF appearance)
4) Killian is going to Philly! Today! Our graduation present to him was airline tickets to visit Kyle's brother, Conall, in The City of Brotherly Love and this is the weekend! Killian's only been on a plane a few times, and always with us, so part of the adventure will be navigating airports all on his own. I'm praying for a safe and fun trip with lots of good memories.
5) Speaking of Killian... He bought himself a car! A 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood! He has been caddying since he was 13 years old, and has been saving up for a car since he was 15. Last week, on vacation, he finally found the perfect car, had it checked by a mechanic, negotiated the price, and bought it! He did such a great job. Kyle has been bursting with pride ever since! So, now Killian drives the Caddy's Caddy!
6) We are in the middle of our major birthday season (we have a couple of smaller birthday seasons) right now. From June 23rd until July 23rd, we have 4 birthdays in our house, and we're half way finished! Next week is Eamon's 6th birthday, followed by Maeve's 13th birthday 5 days later. It occurred to me that 2013 will be the year that I have 3 teens, 4 kids in double digits, a child at every level of education (pre-school, grade school, middle school, high school, college) and only TWO kids NOT old enough for grade school and above! When did this family get so OLD?!
7) Joe is starting Driver's Ed next week. He's muy excitado (I diga bueno español), especially since Kyle took him for a couple of practice drives on the country back roads in Michigan. My heart doesn't know if it can handle having another kid driving -- sending for my smelling salts and my nitroglycerin pills now.
Have yerselves a muy bueno weeko!