Tuesday, July 23, 2013

MIM: Mustard

Joining up with The Gang for this week's edition of MIM: Mustard!

Ok, I had fully intended to make my mom's ham with brown sugar-mustard glaze* for this week's challenge. But, once again, the frappin' hot weather won out and my oven stayed dark. *I will share the recipe for the glaze at the end of this post, because it makes your ham legendary. (That sounds gross, but I don't know why..)

Instead, I had Faith help me make deviled eggs which is a popular dish around these parts. She assured me that it is "her favorite food!" and helped with so much enthusiasm that I really believed her. Turns out, when all is said and done, she no likey deviled eggs -- but everyone else does, so they were gone in a flash.

Usually, I don't give a second thought to hard-boiling eggs. The trick is to immerse them immediately in ice water when they are finished boiling. This ensures that they peel easily and neatly. Always works.

Except for this time.

Out of 8 eggs, only 4 peeled somewhat cleanly and the rest were fed to the clamoring masses (read: William. Yes, he ate 4 eggs in one sitting; ain't no thang.)
So, naturally, these were not the prettiest deviled eggs I've ever made. Not by a longshot.

Anyway, Faith and I had fun making them
and they tasted MUCH better than they looked.

That's Faith's manicured hand presenting her culinary delight.
Deviled Eggs
4 hardboiled eggs (we buy only large eggs, but any size works)
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
Paprika for garnish

Cut eggs in half lengthwise, and remove yolks. Place whites on platter and store in fridge. In a small mixing bowl, mash yolks with a fork, then add mayo and mustard. After thoroughly mixing, add salt and pepper to taste.
Remove whites from fridge and with a teaspoon, scoop yolk filling back into yolk cavities in whites. (You can put the filling into a pastry bag with a fancy tip and fill the whites that way, but who has time for that??) 
Sprinkle with paprika if your kids don't call it "blood spatter", thereby rendering the eggs unappetizing.

Vicki Shea's Scrumptious Baked Ham
One big ham (in this case, size doesn't matter), bone-in 
1.5 cups brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup water

Score ham diagonally. In a small bowl, mix sugar, mustard and water. Spread approximately 1/3-1/2 cup on outside of ham.
Bake as directed, and during last 30 minutes of baking, brush on the remaining glaze. 
When finished, outside of ham should be crispy.

We serve this with scalloped potatoes, peas, and Hawaiian Rolls.




6 comments:

  1. Yum! I haven't made these in forever, and it is high time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they're really easy to make...if you don't screw up the stupid boiling process like I did....

      Delete
  2. I love all of these things. Deviled eggs, ham, sugar,mustard.... Thirsty...so thirsty....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, someone just told me to add bacon to the mix! Making more today.....

      Delete
  3. Wow! Deviled eggs are my very favorite. Thanks for the recipe, as it has been a long time since I had deviled eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that we ate them all before you got home. Pobrecito. :(

      Delete